Tuesday, August 4, 2015

CSWP Segment 1: Adding Material and Checking Mass

In Segment 1, it's all about mass.  Every question asks you what the mass of the part is.  In order to get the mass, we need to tell SOLIDWORKS what material we are working with.

Let's back up to the model we created when we were talking about equations.  Let's set A=30, B=10 and C will evaluate to 50.

The first thing we need to do is assign a material to the part.

Right click your part in the Design Tree
Select Material, then Edit Material


Select the material you have been asked to use from the list (1061 alloy in this case).
Click Apply, then Close.
















Now, let's add a sensor.

Right click on the sensors folder and select Add Sensor


Under the Properties tab, select Mass and click the check box.























Expand the Sensors folder and you will see what the mass of the part is.



The sensor will update as you modify your part.  I recommend using it as a general input to if you are going in the right direction.  When it comes time to enter your answer, I highly recommend that you double click on the mass in order to open the Mass Properties window.  You can set this to the number of decimals that the test requires answers to be given in.  This eliminates one more chance for a mistake by rounding numbers in your head...





















I hope this helps on segment 1.  If you have any questions to anything I've posted on segment 1, please post them below.

Next time, we'll take a look at Segment 2.

Bryan

3 comments:

  1. Getting ready to take my CSWP test and I stumbled onto your blog. Im really glad I did. For one, Im now going to be able to take it for free! Thank you for all of this great information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,

    My pleasure. This is exactly why I started the blog. To connect people ready to get certified with the information to make it easier.

    How did your exam go?

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick,

    My pleasure. This is exactly why I started the blog. To connect people ready to get certified with the information to make it easier.

    How did your exam go?

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete